Recommended ReadingFor those interested in democracy, public life and exploring their own skills and temperament as a civic leader
- Healing the Heart of Democracy: The Courage to Create a Politics Worthy of the Human Spirit, by Parker Palmer, 2011.
- Toward Democracy: The Struggle for Self-Rule in European and American Thought, by James T. Kloppenberg, 2016
- The Work of Hope: How Individuals and Organizations Can Authentically Do Good, by Richard C. Harwood, 2012
- Soul of a Citizen: Living With Conviction in A Cynical Time, by Paul Rogat Loeb, 1999
- Toward Wiser Public Judgment, by Daniel Yankelovich, 2011
- The Magic of Dialogue, by Daniel Yankelovich, 2001
- The Abundant Community, by John McKnight and Peter Block, 2010
- The Answer to How is Yes, by Peter Block
- Wisdom of the Crowds, by James Surowiecki, 2005
- Honey Bee Democracy, by Thomas D. Seeley, 2010
- Switch, by Chip Heath and Dan Heath, 2010
- Mini-Habits: Smaller Habits, Bigger Results, by Stephen Guise, 2013
- Start With Why, by Simon Sinek, 2009
- The New Public Service: Serving Rather Than Steering,Robert B. Denhardt and Janet Vinzant Denhardt, Public Administration Review, 60, No. 6 (Nov. – Dec., 2000), pp. 549-559
- Reframing Public Participation: Strategies for the 21st Century, Innes, Judith and David E. Booher. Planning Theory and Practice, Volume 5, No. 4, pp. 419-436. December 2004.
- How Can We Quantify Democracy? Hint: It Requires More than Just Counting Votes,Matt Leighninger and Tina Nabatchi, Dispute Resolution Magazine, pp. 26-41. Fall 2015.